Re: [News] Linux: If You Can't Use It, You Troll It

  • Subject: Re: [News] Linux: If You Can't Use It, You Troll It
  • From: flatfish+++ <flatfish@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 13:56:28 -0400
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 18:26:40 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> The E-mail I sent him was longer. He only quoted the very heart of the
> argument while neglecting to mention compliments and praises. This seems
> like the rational thing to do, in order for the article to contain just the
> 'meat'.

If that were the case why didn't he use your compliment section?
Surely that would have gone to further his cause?
No?

> Since flatfish hates me, he choose to interpret the tone of the text
> as accusive, rather than a friendly tone (I always have this low tone in
> real life).

1. I don't hate you, really. I don't hate anyone. In fact I don't even
dislike you. You seem like an interesting specimen and I'm not really sure
what makes you tick. You are obviously an intelligent chap, way above most
of the others in this group so maybe I just can't figure out why you would
want to spend so much time in COLA?

> These ambiguities are among the dangers of E-mail
> correspondence.  This led me to several serious entanglement in the past and
> a face-to-face encounter can often rectify that.

2. I suspect that if most of the people in this group got together at a
party and met face to face we would have one heck of a party.
Half-Duplex communication has it's faults. Lack of true emotion is one of
them.

> It has already been said, but my SuSE 8.1 box has the graphical bootloader
> (grub), The bootstrapping process only contains a picture with a _REAL_
> progress bar (unlike Windows XP and predecessors where there is an
> almost-purposeless animation). If I press ESC, then I see the list of steps
> in a colourful, graphical text form. I have seen modern distros that take
> the same approach (being less verbose).

I don't think Windows advocates would argue that Linux is easier to
troubleshoot when problems arise.
Lot's of logs, a boot process with useful information etc.