Re: [News] Upgrade Complexity Dawns on Windows Vista

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> __/ [ JPB ] on Wednesday 02 August 2006 21:21 \__
>
>> Stuart Krivis wrote:

>>> Yes, because picking a distro from amongst hundreds is simpler than
>>> picking a version of Vista. :-)
>

> The list clearly gets the distributions ranked and categoried. If you know
> your needs, you will be heading in the right direction. Since it's free,
> you will have the option to change you mind without heavy regrets or
> problems.
>

>>> I do think that the multiple versions of Vista could cause a lot of
>>> confusion. But I'm not so sure that just pointing people at
>>> distrowatch.com simplifies things or is "easy."
>>>

>> Distrowatch isn't a bad place to start, for anyone. Plenty of stuff to
>> browse, and links to follow. Also there's a reason why Ubuntu is #1 in
>> the page hit ranking, and looking at the first five I see:
>> #1      Ubuntu
>> #2      SUSE
>> #3      Fedora
>> #4      MEPIS
>> #5      Mandriva
>>
>> all of which are also good places to start, together with lots of links
>> to browse.
>>
>> What's not to like?
>

> SCO UNIX.

well, it'd be Caldera OpenLinux (hangonaminute, isn't the Linux kernel and a
large proportion of the appland code distributed under the GPL? In which
case, SCO is over a barrel 'cos they claim full copyright ownership on the
2.4 eDesktop/eServer releases of /all/ the code pertaining to said
releases! It's there, in black and white, not only on the back of the box,
but also inside the front cover of the manuals).
--
When all else fails...
Use a hammer.

http://www.dotware.co.uk