Re: [News] Open Source for Competitive Advantage; Gore and Tux; Microsoft's Long Road Ahead (Digest)

__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Friday 04 August 2006 16:00 \__

http://www.rawstory.com/news/2006/Parody_of_Al_Gore_Film_tied_0803.html#comments

>> Microsoft predicts 10-year road to online riches
>>
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/08/03/microsoft_mundie_investment/
>
> Ugh.  That figures.  I don't know how well-researched
> Al Gore's film is, but this Toutsmith video verges on
> the absurdly silly.  That it uses Tux (and Tux is *very*
> easy to recognize, for anyone who's been around Linux)
> should offend us open source fans, or at least annoy them.
> (It certainly makes me wonder.)
>
> Of course, that may be up to the copyright holders, which Wiki
> identifies as Larry Ewing, Simon Budig, and Anja Gerwinski:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Tux.svg
>
> and the license, which simply requires mention thereof.
>
> Tux is clearly used, and I for one am not certain that
> these individuals are mentioned in the credits, or not.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZSqXUSwHRI
>
> has the video, but no credits as such.  Do Larry, Aimon, and
> Anja have a case to sue?  (Would it be worth the effort?)

Have a look:

http://www.roblimo.com/node/144

,----[ Quote ]