Re: [neWs) M$ Begins Massive PR Blitz

  • Subject: Re: [neWs) M$ Begins Massive PR Blitz
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2006 08:03:21 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Rex Ballard ] on Saturday 05 August 2006 00:34 \__

> Sinister Midget wrote:
>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060803/ap_on_hi_te/microsoft_hacker_challenge
>>
>>    LAS VEGAS - After suffering embarrassing security exploits over the
>>    past several years, Microsoft Corp. is trying a new tactic: inviting
>>    some of the world's best-known computer experts to try to poke holes
>>    in Vista, the next generation of its Windows operating system.
> [snip]
>
> So they put a padlock on their cardboard box, didn't tell them about
> the doggie door for the St Barnard, and give them 10 minutes to try and
> figure out the combination to the padlock.

*LOL*

>> --
>> Microsoft is to operating systems and security as McDonalds is to
>> gourmet cooking.
>
> Compared to "Fortress Linux" which has numerous layers of security, and
> auditing to bust your a** if you do try to hack it.  Crack that Linux
> server, you go to jail.  Do you feel lucky punk?
>
> :D

FWIW, the crackers broke Vista last night! Well ahead of its date of release
(the prematurity being a bad thing for Microsoft, not a positive thing)

,----[ Quote ]
| She demonstrated two potential attack vectors. One could allow unsigned
| code to be loaded into the Vista kernel. The second vector involved
| taking advantage of AMD's Pacific Hardware Virtualization to inject a
| new form of super malware that Rutkowska claimed to be undetectable.
`----

                http://www.internetnews.com/security/article.php/3624861

I will also append the following list that I accumulated for PJ.

Symantec highlights Windows Vista user vulnerabilities
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/08/02/symantec_windows_vista_security/

Symantec continues Vista bug hunt
http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6097976.html

Symantec Finds Flaws In Vista's Network Stack
http://www.techweb.com/wire/security/190700049;jsessionid=MWLALDT21M10GQSNDLPSKHSCJUNN2JVN

Symantec Says Windows Vista Will be Less Secure than XP

Symantec sees an Achilles' heel in Vista
http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6095119.html