[News] When Microsoft Windows Ruins the Realtionship With Your ISP

Just had a discussion in another newsgroup. As it turns out a friend of mine
is being repremanded by her ISP.

__/ [ catherine yronwode ] on Sunday 06 August 2006  \__

> I recently found out from one of my web hosts (sonic.net) that my
> husband and i are notorious for generating the most spam email they
> handle out of their thousands of accounts. Apparently we get millions of
> spam emails per month.

And I thought I was doing badly with tens of thousands. Needless the mention,
Windows is responsible for sending all of that SPAM. It's on par with a DDOS
attack, only using different protocols.

And what about Vista? Even if people finally upgraded to Vista rather than
upgrade to Linux, Vista is the same pile of swiss cheese [REF]. As I told
Cat, the Internet as we know is headed for doom, owing to Microsoft Windows.

___
Black Hat Takes Vista to Task

,----[ Quote ]
| She demonstrated two potential attack vectors. One could allow unsigned
| code to be loaded into the Vista kernel. The second vector involved
| taking advantage of AMD's Pacific Hardware Virtualization to inject a
| new form of super malware that Rutkowska claimed to be undetectable.
`----

                http://www.internetnews.com/security/article.php/3624861

Also see:

Symantec highlights Windows Vista user vulnerabilities

,----[ Quote ]
| Symantec has shed more light on potential vulnerabilities in Windows
| Vista that could circumvent new security measures and leave users
| vulnerable to attack.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/08/02/symantec_windows_vista_security/

Symantec continues Vista bug hunt

,----[ Quote ]
| After poking around the Windows Vista networking stack, Symantec
| researchers have tried out privilege-escalation attacks on an early
| version of the Windows XP successor.
|
| "We discovered a number of implementation flaws that continued to allow
| a full machine compromise to occur," Matthew Conover, principal
| security researcher at Symantec, wrote in the report titled "Attacks
| against Windows Vista's Security Model." The report was made available
| to Symantec customers last week and is scheduled for public release
| sometime before Vista ships, a Symantec representative said Monday.
`----

                http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6097976.html

Symantec Finds Flaws In Vista's Network Stack

,----[ Quote ]
| Researchers with Symantec's advanced threat team poked through
| Vista's new network stack in several recent builds of the
| still-under-construction operating system, and found several bugs
| -- some of which have been fixed, including a few in  Monday's
| release -- as well as broader evidence that the rewrite of the
| networking code could easily lead to problems.
|
| [...]
|
| Among Newsham's and Hoagland's conclusions: "The amount of new
| code present in Windows Vista provides many opportunities for
| new defects."
|
| "It's true that some of the things we found were 'low-hanging
| fruit,' and that some are getting fixed in later builds,"
| said Friedrichs. "But that begs the question of what else
| is in there?"
`----

http://www.techweb.com/wire/security/190700049;jsessionid=MWLALDT21M10GQSNDLPSKHSCJUNN2JVN

Symantec Says Windows Vista Will be Less Secure than XP

,----[ Snippet ]
| Symantec said earlier last week that there were no viruses for Apple's
| OS X.

Symantec sees an Achilles' heel in Vista

,----[ Quote ]

`----

                http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6095119.html