Re: [News] Open Source to Doom Proprietary Software?

__/ [ Roy Schestowitz ] on Wednesday 09 August 2006 02:25 \__

> Open source won't doom traditional enterprise software
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Last week SandHill.com published a column by Guy Smith of Silicon
> | Strategies Marketing, titled "Is Enterprise Software Doomed?,"
> | suggesting that open source will cause traditional enterprise software
> | to become extinct.
> `----
>
>                         http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=3446
>
> Misunderstanding open source's business potential
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Dan Farber has collected a range of commentary (see above) on two
> | important open source business questions: namely, will open source pummel
> | proprietary software vendors and does it have a long-term future? I guess
> | I find these questions a bit old-fashioned because I do open source
> | software, and watch open source beat proprietary software every single
> | day. I sell into an increasing number and range of enterprises who view
> | open source as a viable, competitive reality. I see it knocking down the
> | doors of every major enterprise on this planet (and several more on
> | Mars). And, importantly, I see it making a lot of money for those selling
> | it.
> `----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/openresource/archives/2006/08/misunderstandin.html

There is now a rebuttal.

Open source vs. traditional enterprise software, part II

,----[ Quote ]
`----

                                http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=3457