Re: (Article) Search Engines Lead to Site Monopolies?

"Roy Schestowitz" quoted: ...
> | The authors are examining fears that search engines will create a
> | situation where a self-reinforcing cycle of popularity will create
> | an Internet in which a limited number of information sources
> | predominate: "[S]earch engines bias the traffic of users according to
> | their page ranking strategies, and it has been argued that they create
> | a vicious cycle that amplifies the dominance of established and
> | already popular sites. This bias could lead to a dangerous monopoly
> | of information."

Further proof (if further proof were needed) that academics rarely have a
clue about the real world.

If they confined their argument to suggesting that Google et al *slowed* the
emergence of new soyurces, I'd be interested - but to talk about a dangerous
monoploy when most of the buiest sites didn't even exist a few years ago is
so pathetic, you have to see academic ambition beating common sense into
15th place.
--

Andrew
Editor