Re: Vaughan-Nichols: Desktop Linux at Tipping Point

  • Subject: Re: Vaughan-Nichols: Desktop Linux at Tipping Point
  • From: "Rex Ballard" <rex.ballard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 18 Aug 2006 21:14:11 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
billwg wrote:
> "Erik Funkenbusch" <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> >
> > Third, He seems very surprised that Linux vendors at Linux conference were
> > running Linux.  Like.... what?

> I went to the PDC last fall and I noticed that 100% of the laptops being
> carried around there were running Windows.  Even the guys giving the talks
> were using Windows to illustrate their topics.  My take is that linux is
> doomed.

Like the Internet?

Like Unix Servers?

Like Mainframes (linux on Z-Series)?

Like Netscape/Mozilla/Firefox?

Like OpenOffice?

Like OSS?

Like Macs?

Like Linux?

As Mark Twain said in a speech imediately after a newspaper had
reported his death,
"The reports of my demise - - - are highy - - exaggerated".

MOST of the new software being developed, is being developed in OSS.

Most of the third-party applications written exclusively for Windows
and sold in retail stores, are products to deal with major defects in
Windows including.
    Poor security.
    Spyware.
    Spam
    No real back-up strategy.
    Financial/Tax software.
It speaks volumes that people don't trust on-line providers for these
products.

The rest are "multiplatform".
  The image libraries - can be used on any platform.
  The game programs - run on multiple platforms.

Linux on the other hand, has introduced about 1000 new third-party
applications in the last 2 years, many of which are available in
commercial forms, upgrades, or support contracts.

You can go back to sleep now bill, it's only a nightmere.