Re: Orange Employee Fired Over Blog Content (Microsoft Bashing Included)

  • Subject: Re: Orange Employee Fired Over Blog Content (Microsoft Bashing Included)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 08:20:31 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ casioculture@xxxxxxxxx ] on Friday 18 August 2006 01:17 \__

> peterwn wrote:
>> Kier wrote:

>> Case seems to have nothing to do with misues of employers' facilities.
>>
>> There is a horrible injustice in such cases where ordinary working
>> people can have their freedom of expression curtailed by employers, and
>> yet, the rich, the retired and welfare beneficiaries suffer no such
>> curtailment.
>
> It's under "behaviour that brings the company into disrepute".
> Nevermind someone like him who expressed political opinions that offend
> others, what I find a big problem is people who are mistreated under
> this "behaviour that brings the company into disrepute" clause because
> of normal personal activities, sexual ones included. An example that
> was much in the media was Sven Goran Erikson, he slept with a woman and
> then they tried to fire under the excuse he brought the FA into
> dispute. What bull. The guy is a grown up man who had consensual sex
> with a grown up woman in their own time and in the privacy of his
> secluded home in Sweden. I thought that was ridiculous at the time and
> empathised with his statement that it was none of their business and he
> couldn't understand what the whole fuss was about. There's been much
> similar, less famous cases in the news.

That's a fine example. From a personal perspective, many ideas that I express
on the Web are inevitably tied to personal affiliations. But freedom of
speech is still a tricky thing. For example, I would never discuss politics
(nor do I care about politics). But preferences and opinions on injustice is
a fairly safe (politically-correct) area. The scope is rarely permits
ambiguity and misinterpretation. It won't offensive to individual people
unless they tie themselves with products and brand names.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: 85% of plant life in in the oceans
Cpu(s):  18.6% user,   2.6% system,   0.8% nice,  78.0% idle