Re: [News] Linux Phones Penetrate Market, Either Closed or Open

  • Subject: Re: [News] Linux Phones Penetrate Market, Either Closed or Open
  • From: "[H]omer" <spam@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 21:02:56 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Mark Kent wrote:

> I suspect that much of the paranoia about allow admin-level access
> to mobile devices will evaporate over time.  Those that really want
> to get such access will find a way, those who do not would not
> bother anyway.

I've hacked every mobile I've ever owned, mainly to unlock "network
independent features", but latterly out of habit.

For example, the Moto V3 I got from Orange had its video recording
feature disabled (for some reason best known to Orange) whereas
customers Stateside had all the fun (Cingular). Soon fixed that with a
visit to MotoX.us, but yeah, an Open platform is what's really needed
rather than all that binary hacking using "classified" engineers'
software - not that Orange (or any other network) would be very happy
about that though.

--
K.
http://slated.org - Slated, Rated & Blogged

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.16-1.2133_FC5
 21:01:31 up 60 days, 21:18,  3 users,  load average: 0.02, 0.01, 0.00