Re: Debian Linux Would Have Cost $175 BILLION to Develop Commercially

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Thursday 17 August 2006 14:12 \__

http://libresoft.dat.escet.urjc.es/debian-counting/sarge/index.php?menu=Statistics

>>> Oops. My mistake. I have corrected the subject line. Sorry about that....
>>
>> Wow.  $175e9!
>>
>> And much of it done for the fun of it, and to scratch an itch.
>>

> This is why FLOSS will ultimately prove superior as a development
> method.  The value of cooperation far exceeds anything which can be
> achieved with traditional competitive development.

Look at how Internet Explorer was neglected for 5 years. No financial
incentive. The Web was forced to reach a halt (development freeze) while
Opera had the next generation of browsers properly implemented. If only it
could get its well-deserved market share from a convicted monopolist. It
took a lot for Mozilla (Firefox) to gain steam. But it's well past the cusp
of adoption now.