Re: The REAL Lenovo Deal

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> __/ [ B Gruff ] on Wednesday 16 August 2006 18:50 \__
>
> > http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/newss/6298/1/
> >
> > It would appear that the Lenovo laptops will *not* ship with SLED
> > pre-installed after all.

> It's a start. It's not the full monty, but it sets an example for others.
> Let's be fair. Levono is fearful that the wrath of Redmond will raise the
> price.

Raising the price is the least of the problems.  Remember what
Microsoft did to IBM with the Cyrix chip in Windows NT 4.0 SP2?
Lennovo doesn't want thousands of Windows powered laptops that are
running Windows suddenly melting into a permanant siezure.

Microsoft could publicly announce that Lennovo workstations don't run
Vista well (the way they did with IBM on Windows 95 AFTER IBM gave up
OS/2 to get Win95.

> Same issue with Dell, I suspect. Or HP... but it will change /gradually/.

Several of the OEMs are now providing kits which can be used by VARs or
consulting firms to create master images that can be mass-marketed or
mass-distributed to corporate users.

> One brick at a time, the Microsoft fortress is being dismantled.

Typically, all of this is happening in the "Aftermarket" market from
the viewpoint of the OEMs and Microsoft.  It seems that as long as
Microsoft can claim that 95% of all machines are sold with Windows
preinstalled (including Macs), it really doesn't matter what the VARs
and End Users do afterword.  Even when Windows XP is nonfunctional, or
Windows XP/64 can't run any applications, it meets Microsoft's
requirements.  Microsoft's concerns are revenues and statements to
investors.  As long as Microsoft can maintain their total revenues by
expanding into other markets like XBox, the investors are happy.