Re: Microsoft Outlook Bug may have erased Enron Email evidence

  • Subject: Re: Microsoft Outlook Bug may have erased Enron Email evidence
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 07:54:35 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Hadron Quark ] on Thursday 17 August 2006 02:43 \__

> John Hastings <jh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 02:42:15 -0700, nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>
>>> Quote:
>>> ----------------
>>> Monica Bay at The Common Scold points to breaking news sure to shake up
>>> the world of electronic discovery. As Ben Hallman reports in The American
>>> Lawyer, the company handling electronic discovery in the Enron civil
>>> suits says a software glitch may have erased text in e-mails produced in
>>> the case over an 18-month span....
>>>
>>> The glitch stems from Microsoft Outlook 2003, the report says. When it is
>>> used to open e-mails from earlier Outlook versions, some appear to be
>>> blank when they are not. Nagel calls the problem "a Microsoft issue"...
>>> --------------------
>>
>> If I were to start a small company today, I would definitely run MS IIS,
>> Exchange and Outlook for all web and email services.  That would give us
>> an out to reply to any important supoena that "despite our best efforts,
>> we have been unable to recover our email and records."
>>
>> There would be available any required number of experts to testify to the
>> judge that this is a common occurence.
>>
>> Of course, I might wind up in the slammer if the judge had any technical
>> expertise at all since he would know that nobody in their right mind would
>> trust company communications to the likes of Exchange.
>>
>> JH
>>

> http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/evaluation/compare/market_share.mspx
>
> As usual, with a pinch of salt.

The game has only just begun... prepate to an Exchange slaughter, on par with
UNIX in terms of scale.

Competitors Turn Up the Heat on Microsoft Exchange

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM also made available its Lotus Notes on
| Linux product July 24, the same day the second Exchange beta was
| released.
|
| [...]
|
| "This product is very important to our customers. We have had the
| server version available since 1998, but with the growing interest in the
| Linux desktop, we have had a lot of customer demand for this," he
| said.
|
| The product would let them run Lotus Notes on Linux similar to the
| way they run the technology on Windows or
| Macintosh.
|
| [...]
|
| To help further drive adoption, IBM is offering its business partners
| that develop Linux-based applications up to $20,000 for migrating
| customers from Microsoft Exchange to IBM Lotus Notes and Domino on
| Linux desktop, under an initiative known as "Migrate to the Penguin,"
| Fontaine said.
|
| Data Return's Stidley notes that the move by IBM toward a Linux desktop
| is "definitely something that should put Microsoft on alert, even though
| it doesn't seem to be an immediate threat."
|

| [...]
|
| But Glenn Winokur, the CEO of Scalix, a messaging infrastructure
| company based in San Mateo, Calif., whose products are based on a
| Linux and open systems architecture, begs to differ, noting that 1
| million mailboxes of its software have been deployed.
|
| [...]
|
| "Enterprise customers want an enterprise Linux e-mail, calendar
| and integration platform, with open-source community support and
| choice of clients and directories," he said.
`----

                http://news.yahoo.com/s/zd/20060724/tc_zd/184227

Linux Mail Server Scales Up to Enterprise Needs

,----[ Quote ]
`----

                http://www.serverwatch.com/sreviews/article.php/3622046

,----[ Quote ]
| Open-Xchange Server offers organizations all the advantages of using
| Linux and open source software.

Gordano Releases Linux Compatible Messaging Suite

,----[ Quote ]
| Gordano, developer of comprehensive enterprise-class messaging
| products delivering scalability and reliability -- announced the release
| of a new version of the Gordano Messaging Suite (GMS), a multi-platform
| messaging system providing an easy-to-use alternative to Microsoft
| Exchange that is compatible with Windows (NT, XP, 2000, 2003), Linux
| (Redhat, Suse, Mandrake, Debian, etc), Solaris and AIX.
`----

        http://linux.sys-con.com/read/246897.htm

Scalix slashes wholesaler's collaboration costs

,----[ Quote ]
| I asked for successes at schools using Open Source Software, and I
| received a wide variety of them.
|
| [...]
|
| Some of these installs were done using the free Community Edition,
| "which works well for small to medium-sized businesses," says Wilson.
| Added to which, the AJAX webmail feature blows its competitors "a mile
| away". "It drives like an application," he enthuses.
`----

                        http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?id=1049

For those who have not seen it yet...

,----[ Quote ]
| Zimbra, the open source software company trying to take on
| conventional e-mail systems, such as Microsoft Exchange and
| Lotus Notes...
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2006/06/zimbra_the_open.html

Open-Source E-Mail Options On The March

Scalix, Zimbra, Open-Xchange plot moves against Microsoft Exchange Server.

http://www.crn.com/sections/ibm/ibm.jhtml?articleId=191902172

Linux Collaboration: All About The Apps

,----[ Quote ]
| For years, pundits have proclaimed that the Linux Desktop is coming, and
| yet it was still lacking in some of the critical collaboration apps
| that enterprises rely on.
|
| Some have argued that without key collaboration applications that
| can interface with Microsoft's Exchange, enterprises won't adopt Linux.
|
| That's going to change this year.

'Exchange killers' are successfully stalking Microsoft messaging

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://software.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=06/08/04/1429235&from=rss

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "How do I set my laser printer on stun?"
roy      pts/1        cg001a.halls.man Tue Aug 15 07:09   still logged in