Re: One useful area where Linux lags behind Mac and Windows

  • Subject: Re: One useful area where Linux lags behind Mac and Windows
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 07:32:24 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Geico Caveman ] on Wednesday 16 August 2006 16:21 \__

> I have been a Linux user for years, but there is one useful functionality
> that has mostly been missing on Linux - voice recognition and dictation.
> Ever since IBM discontinued ViaVoice for Linux (I still have my old CD set
> in fond hopes that I might be able to use it - but each glibc and java (I
> do not understand this obsession some commercial vendors have with java -
> makes everything slow and buggy) upgrade makes that more and more
> unlikely),
>
> 2001 was a heady time for this - ViaVoice and XVoice. I remember dictating
> some of my longer reports into emacs at the time. But right now, there
> appears to be absolutely nothing. Google search just yields a shitload of
> outdated pages about ViaVoice. CMU Sphinx is not mature and there are some
> rumors that it has been abandoned. I tried a version of it a few months ago
> and it is kid stuff (putting it mildly) compared to what ViaVoice was.
>
> I do not much care for games, video editing etc. (even though decent ones
> in either exist for Linux). But voice recognition is a very useful function
> to have, especially for busy people who sometimes need to type long
> documents. I do remember that there were some rumors a few months ago that
> the new version of KDE (I am *NOT* talking about kttsd) was going to
> include this functionality, but I have not read anything since. Maybe it
> was just limited stuff for hotkeys
> (http://developer.kde.org/summerofcode/speech.html). Is there any hope for
> voice recognition / dictation software (preferably open source) for Linux
> any time soon ? And no, Wizzscribe is NOT it - it is something for
> developers and even that costs more than $2K. Out of reach for a normal
> user.
>
> There is an older report about voice recognition with Qt :
>
> http://linuxpr.com/releases/3255.html
>
> But since IBM bailed out, and there has been no talk since about Qt
> (checked Trolltech's website), I do not imagine anything came of it.

It all changed very recently.

      http://linux.sys-con.com/read/249714.htm
                Wizzard Software Releases WizzScribe SI For Linux

                Revolutionizes Server-Based Speech Recognition By
                Eliminating Training

      http://biz.yahoo.com/iw/060807/0149614.html
                Speech Recognition Software Adoption Powers Voice
                Applications Around the World

      http://biz.yahoo.com/iw/060807/0149620.html
                Web-Based Platform Revolutionizes Voice Business

There are more projects, some of which are free. You can find the links
rather easily...

Meanwhile, the competitor is making 'baby steps'.

        http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1123221217782777472

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Lions are like hippie tigers"
Mem:    514480k total,   484304k used,    30176k free,    12824k buffers