Re: [News] Microsoft: IE7 Can't Match Oprea or Firefox (Standards-wise)

__/ [ Handover Phist ] on Wednesday 16 August 2006 17:00 \__

http://arstechnica.com/journals/microsoft.ars/2006/8/16/4999

>> With Firefox extensions/themes, as well as Opera themes/widgets, it's
>> unlikely to catch up, function-wise.
>
> I have IE6 on my linux box just out of curiosity, to test a few of my
> sites. The rendering is junky. CSS is very poorly implemented in IE6
> (even min-height directiveas are ignored) and I'm not inclined to do
> extra work to support EI. The argument that IE has the most users and
> therefore IS the standard doesn't fly with me. The internet wasn't built
> for IE, IE was built for the WWW and I wont allow it to be a tool that
> manipulates my work.

I have been (and still am) thinking along the same lines as yourself. I have
had the miserable experience of seeing some perfectly-good pages failing to
work properly in IE. As long as everything is readable and does not stand
out, this will be bearable to the stubborn ones who stick with IE. Moreover,
if we show IE users their browser in its 'full glory' (or lack thereof),
e.g. by exposing obvious bugs and problems, users will decide to upgrade to
a third-party applications. What bothers me are Web site that downplay the
wealth of capabilities (X)HTML/CSS have to offer just because of IE. Are we
forced to stay back because of Microsoft? Can it control/restrict novelty
because it has become an effective monopoly? Just as in the case of 64-bit
applications?

Try the following with IE and see what happens (transparent PNG menus and a
special greeting to IE users).

http://www.schestowitz.com/Research/Notes/Bibliography/bib-manager/phpbibman/

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Every beginning must start somewhere
Tasks: 130 total,   2 running, 125 sleeping,   0 stopped,   3 zombie