Re: Does Ubuntu Dapper Drake have the fastest boot time of any distro?

  • Subject: Re: Does Ubuntu Dapper Drake have the fastest boot time of any distro?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 09:30:05 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Geico Caveman ] on Wednesday 16 August 2006 02:32 \__

> Darth Chaos wrote:
>
>> It seems that within 30-45 seconds of turning on my laptop, Ubuntu has
>> already booted into the desktop.

/Far/ quick than SuSE. That's for sure!

> The natural question to ask is :
>
> Why are you booting your laptop at all ? Heard of suspend2 ?

True. Ubuntu is among the first distributions where the feature is known to
work reliably and consistently across different models. Don't forget that
laptop vendors preload and customise the O/S in order to fit and support the
feature in just one particular, non-standardised model/module. Linux
transcends quite an abyss, without any additional driver CD's.

Links of interest below:

Put your laptop to sleep

,----[ Quote ]
| The Dapper Drake release of Ubuntu Linux includes the new
| gnome-power-manager package, which enables ACPI sleep much like the
| system-tray power applet in Windows. Finally, sleep "just works" in
| Linux.
`----

http://applications.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/07/26/1641234&from=rss

How to suspend and hibernate a laptop under Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://enterprise.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/05/24/1716222&from=rss