Re: [News] Linux and OSS Will Not Kill People

__/ [ 7 ] on Tuesday 15 August 2006 19:44 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Open source project adds "no military use" clause to the GPL
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | That's intriguing enough, but the really interesting thing about GPU is
>> | the license its developers have given it. They call it a "no military
>> | use" modified version of the GNU General Public License (GPL).
>> `----
>>
>>         http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=06/08/14/1438204
>
> Impossible to define 'military use'.

What about 'use by the military'? I guess the US military uses Apache, for
example. Maybe the clause could/should be augmented to describe what
reasoning manifested its inclusion. This could shed some light on when/where
borderline cases deem acceptable (e.g. information and in intelligence vs.
fatalities and violent interrogation).