Re: Linux Desktops Come to Another 320 US Stores

__/ [ Rex Ballard ] on Wednesday 16 August 2006 03:18 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Giant Retailer Chooses SUSE Linux Enterprise Platform to Run Desktops and
>> Servers
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Novell today announced that one of the largest home furnishings
>> | retailers in the United States is installing SUSE Linux Enterprise
>> | Desktop 10 from Novell on all of its in-store sales terminals across
>> | more than 320 stores.
>> `----
>
> It's ironic isn't it.  You go to a McDonalds or Burger King drive-up
> window and see a Linux workstation in action, displaying your order and
> ads, in real time, you go to the store and pay at a Linux powered cash
> register, you watch TV on a Linux powered digital cable tuner, you
> access  the interned via a Linux powered Cable Modem or DSL Modem,
> connected to a Linux powered WiFi hub, but Microsoft won't let us see a
> SUSE Linux Desktop on the shelves of Staples, Office Max, CompUSA, or
> any other retailer that displays computers for customers to "test
> drive".  Instead, they have to show the same old Windows XP display
> that the buyer has at home already, and not running much faster, doing
> much less (because no third party software has been installed), and
> really not impressing anybody.
>
> That takes some real "loaded gun pointed at your head" negotiations.
>
>>                 http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060815/sftu087.html?.v=68

It seems as though Novell has begun a PR lynch. It's all about giving the
public a piece of reality. This will shut up those who argue that Linux is
nowhere to be used (of /seen/).

It wasn't long ago that Red Hat's CEO said that Microsoft was still extremely
aggressive while Novell said that Microsoft pressed hard on OEM's not to
stock Linux (and accept Novell's offer). I can find the links to back this.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Pentiums melt in your PC, not in your hand"
Tasks: 124 total,   1 running, 120 sleeping,   0 stopped,   3 zombie