Re: [News] Linux and OSS Will Not Kill People

__/ [ BearItAll ] on Tuesday 15 August 2006 08:21 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Open source project adds "no military use" clause to the GPL
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | That's intriguing enough, but the really interesting thing about GPU is
>> | the license its developers have given it. They call it a "no military
>> | use" modified version of the GNU General Public License (GPL).
>> `----
>>
>>         http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=06/08/14/1438204
>
> I don't like that. To me its All or None. Everyone has to have access
> without distinction of class or politics. Are they to deny access to
> terrorist groups, if they are, how might they manage to do that.

It took me a couple of minutes to find it, but have a look:

Linux robots elicit human responses

,----[ Quote ]
| U.S. soldiers in Iraq are forming emotional ties to Linux-powered
| robots, according to Reuters. iRobot's robots -- used for tasks such
| as explosives defusing and cave exploration -- are being given nicknames
| and winning loyalty, to the extent that soldiers request repairs for
| their favorites, Reuters says.

This is fairly recent. And, by the way, I suspect that some terrorists (the
smarter ones) use Linux for privacy. They proabably won't be around to
comment on splendid usability and stability, will they? I still suspect that
the US uses Windows to get access to locally-stored files. The German and
French government seems to concur. I wrote about this yesterday, in case you
are interested < http://tinyurl.com/g2wtk >.

> Incidentally, I don't believe these people have the authority to deny
> access to anyone anyway, including the millitary.
>
> The Ham radio bit was pants, Hammers aren't going to advertise to each
> other, there wouldn't be any point to that. Aren't most of them annonimous
> anyway.

I never used Ham Radio (I have it installed though; SUSE has everything), so
I can't comment. *frown* Are you suggesting that GPL forbids some forms of
publicity? I must be misinterpreting this completely. But it reminds me of a
thread I have been involved in this morning...

[wp-hackers] Credit Links

http://comox.textdrive.com/pipermail/wp-hackers/2006-August/007826.html