Re: (Article) Google Forbids Misuse of "Google" as a Verb

__/ [ Phil Payne ] on Monday 14 August 2006 17:19 \__

>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Search engine giant Google, known for its mantra "don't be evil",
>> | has fired off a series of legal letters to media organisations, warning
>> | them against using its name as a verb.
>> `----
>
> Bollocks to them.  Everyone hoovers, whether or not with a Hoover.

Personally, I think they deter businesses from delivering some free
advertisements. As in Xeron... or Podcast... among many other examples. On
the other hand, it can lead to suspicion that there is a monopoly here,
which can drive prospective customers away... Very similar to a scenario of
excessive advertisement, which makes loyal customers feel betrayed. Makes
brainwash appear like a dominating factor in the choice. Think about Coca
Cola... or even the reluctance to ever advertise GNU/Linux.