Re: [News] In China, 3 Out of 4 Windows Computers Get Infected

__/ [ Oliver Wong ] on Monday 14 August 2006 16:02 \__

> "Ray Ingles" <sorceror@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>>computers
>>
>>> Nice to see some real-world figures. Windows advocates would like you to
>>> believe that only an ignorant/lazy minority suffers from computer
>>> viruses.
>>
>> With WGA blocking off security patches for the pirates, they're going
>> to have to move elsewhere
>
>     My understanding was that security patches are NOT blocked off by
>     WGA['s
> detection of a non-authentic copy of Windows].
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/faq.aspx#Question5Label
> <quote>
> Q: Do security updates require validation?
> A: Security updates are not part of WGA or OGA. You can install security
> updates using the Windows Automatic Updates feature or download them from
> the Download Center.
> </quote>
>
>     I believe initially (a long time ago, 2 years?) Microsoft had
>     considered
> only providing security updates to non-pirated copies of Windows, but they
> were criticized for this; by not providing security updates, "innocent
> bystanders" are victimized via spam sent by a larger number of zombie
> machines. So Microsoft "did the right thing" and gave security updates to
> everyone; even the pirates.

1. Doing the right thing = releasing software which does not contain back
doors that are concealed in binary blobs.

2. Earlier today:

,----[ Quote ]
| The firm is also all set to build major components of its Windows
| Vista operating system and a few updates to Internet Explorer
| merely available to customers running genuine Microsoft software.
`----

http://www.spywarehunter.org/entry/microsoft-to-augment-wga-with-more-features

So WGA becomes mandatory. They start gentle and find acceptance through
persistence and complacency. Submit to the "advantage" or be pwned.

Red light are lit when your resemble that of a Microsoft solicitor. Have you
become an apologist as well?

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Rid your machine from malware. Install GNU/Linux.
Cpu(s):  18.6% user,   2.6% system,   0.8% nice,  77.9% idle