Re: [News] One Linux Laptop for Each Child in Thailand?

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Monday 14 August 2006 10:51 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
> news.cogeco.ca <BushIsATraitor@xxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> <snip>
>>
>> Linux morons, living in the land of self delusion.
>>

> I'm always left somewhat bemused as to why the Microsoft astroturfers
> here are so dead against 3rd world children being educated.  Will they
> not be able to exploit them any more?  What's their problem?

I often that think it scares astroturfers. Think about it. Children grew up
in isolation without being exposed to brainwash, advertising, and without
ever witnessing a monoculture. Not being raised on Microsoft products such
as Office either means that they can form an opinion that is not dependent
on prior habits and skills.

It would certainly scare the hell out of me if I charged $400 for shoddy
software (4 times the price of a laptop) and made it obvious that spying was
part of the 'relationship'. Microsoft's chances in third-world countries are
tied to Gates' <strike>donations</strike> bribery of lawmakers, whose word
defines the educational and (IT-inclined) cultural life.