Re: French copyright law puts squeeze on open-source

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Sunday 13 August 2006 18:13 \__

http://computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=standards_legal_issues&articleId=9002086&taxonomyId=146

>>> Interesting - in France, just like in the US, you can go to jail for the
>>> new crime of making two boxes work together.  Wow.
>>
>> Nelie Kroes would be wise to stay out of France then...
>>
>> I guess no-one does the Samba in France, either.
>>

> I wonder if we'll get some prisoners of conscience?  Is anyone committed
> enough to breaking the stranglehold of a few large companies?

Jon Loch (AKA lDVS Jon') has opened up DVD for us (the CSS part of it
anyway). The lawsuits against him were never fruitful. The last time I heard
about him (his blog, which is powered by WordPress *smile*, no longer pulls
any headlines), he moved to California in order to work with some figure of
authority on similar projects (perhaps some more backward engineering).
Whatever he does, I wish him the best of luck. We need more courageous
people like him to butt heads with the corrupted, biased law and bring
freedom (Freedom) to those who can see beyond Clo$ed $ource $oftware (or
media content).

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    X-No-Archive: No. Stand behind what you say
  6:20pm  up 24 days  6:35,  7 users,  load average: 1.00, 0.63, 0.61