Re: Another myth debunked: Linux uptimes

  • Subject: Re: Another myth debunked: Linux uptimes
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 04:56:15 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Ian Hilliard ] on Saturday 12 August 2006 21:36 \__

> Linonut wrote:
>
>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Ian Hilliard belched out this bit o' wisdom:

>>> If you look a bit closer, these top machines running Windows all seem to
>>> be hiding behind either BSD or Linux.
>>>
>>> I guess that the fools want to run IIS, probably for .Net, but are at
>>> least cleaver enough not to have their BillyBox directly facing the
>>> Internet.
>>>
>>> I suspect that behind the BSD or Linux gateway they are running a cluster
>>> of Windows servers so that they are not constantly off-the-air with
>>> server crashes.
>>
>> Still, when you look at O "the Debunker" K's list, you see two things:
>>
>>    1. NECsoft seems to know how to care and manage a billy-box server
>>
>>    2. There are a couple of impressive uptimes for Win 2000 in that
>>       list.
>>
>> Now get out your check-books.
>>

> You don't get those sort of times out of a billybox, particularly if you
> keep it patched. They must be running a cluster, probably a LARGE cluster.

It's all very possible.

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/Peer1.html

Uptime in Netscarft's eye is different from the true uptime. It's all just an
illusion.

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      | Code built upon another's is less prone to bugs
Tasks: 130 total,   1 running, 127 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie