Re: The problem with Linux.....

"Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:6727505.ea3oDrN40N@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
__/ [ mlw ] on Friday 11 August 2006 14:56 \__

Linux just runs. It stays running for a long time. You start a machine and
a year later you have to move it or something. Then you have to remember
what you did a year ago.

I sometimes forget what the bootloader looks like. I sometimes what the login
manager looks like.

Yeah, one time it had been so long since I rebooted my WinXP box that I forgot how I had configured the login process. It was configured as "type in your username, then type in your password", but I had thought it was "Click on your icon, type in your password". Since I'm the only user on my computer, I started typing in my password. And it appeared in the username box. In plain sight. While my friend was over. Boy, was I ever embarassed.

I changed my password that night, and changed the login system back to "Click on your icon, type in your password". I figured if I accidentally typed my username in the password box isn't as fatal as if I accidentally type my password in the username box.

I rarely save work/messages as I go along because, quite
frankly, rarely will anything go wrong.

This is a bad habit to pick up, because occasionally you'll have to work on someone else's machine, where the apps may not be so stable. I was working on an A/V project with someone using Adobe Premiere on Mac OS 9. My partner never saved, and I think we lost 30 minutes to hours of work every 2-3 days 'cause Premiere would crash. FWIW, my partners background was (like me) primarily Windows, with a bit of Mac.

- Oliver