Re: No Second Chances for Windows Security As Homeland Security Cracks Whip

Incredible article.  He remarks on how the Microsoft culture has made
users believe that this security hell is a normal consequence of
computing:

Quote:
----------
The oddest part is how we've become so accustomed to the status quo
when "Patch Tuesday" rolls around. Another few holes get closed with a
magic Microsoft download, and we're safe (unless the bad guys first
found a way to burrow into our systems).
----------
End quote

That's one reason I'm glad Apple (who, unlike Linux, has an advertising
budget) is hitting the security problem with Windows, trying to get
people to switch to Macs.  I think people are gradually becoming aware
that the equation is not Microsoft=computing, but rather
Microsoft=malware.

The author concludes by:

Quote:
Here's something to consider: If bridge builders or airplane designers
applied the same standards to their labors, do you believe that the
public would so easily forgive the regularity with which bridges would
collapse and airliners fall out of the sky?
End quote

a sentiment I've heard here on cola, but not so much in articles like
this.