Re: Extending/Fragmenting KDE Desktop Space

__/ [ Allistar ] on Friday 11 August 2006 10:32 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> __/ [ Allistar ] on Friday 11 August 2006 03:10 \__

>>> When you fire up another XServer running KDE on a second monitor (i.e.
>>> *not* using Xinerama) it creates a ~/Desktop1 folder and gives you what
>>> you want. This may be able to be done with only one monitor by creating
>>> another XSession as the same user and switching to it (Ctrl-Alt-F8). Not
>>> exactly what you want and it would probably gobble more resources.
>>>
>>> An alternative is to have a application like Superkaramba limit itself to
>>> a particular desktop, and in that application embed clicking images that
>>> represent the icons you want to run. Again, not what you want but it may
>>> be a hacky way to achieve it.
>>>
>>> It would be good if you could limit panels to a particular desktop, then
>>> when you do a desktop switch you could have different icons in the
>>> "System tray" panel.
>>
>> Oh. I thought the exact some thing when I replied to Big Yellow.
>> Basically, I just feel as though KDE has not mature to serve those who
>> actually embrace workspaces. KDE is famous (or notorious) for being an
>> extensible toolbox (as opposed to a usable DE), so I am surprised that
>> there is no option for more panel restriction. It would probably be simple
>> to implement, but I don't know how many people will use the feature.
>>
>> At present, it is assumed that all you have is a single desktop that's
>> augmented, rather than several pertinent 'sections'. This doesn't bode
>> well with the fact that you can name these 'sections' (even with different
>> wallpapers), which makes them an independent entity.
>>
>>> Sorry I can't be more helpful, but it's good idea.
>>
>> It has been helpful actually. Thanks!
>
> If you want productivity gains (and this is from my own personal
> experience), go with a dual or triple head setup. There is a cost involved,
> but the efficiency gains are obvious in a short time. I feel so trapped
> when moving to a single head computer (even if it does have many virtual
> desktops).

True. I have been on dual-head since I was 19. At the time, it was a latpop
with an external monitor. I suppose one can only transcend the field-of-view
barrier (e.g. large triple-head) by using virtual desktops. There are also
factors like electricity (I use CRT's) and with 16 virtual desktops (~40,000
pixels-wide), there is no real boundary, space-wise (memory becomes an
issue). That said, there is only one session with a lot of available space.
Having more contextual panels and desktop contents would be ideal. I don't
think that Apple's Leopard will have such abilities either, even with their
new feature: Spaces. But it has potential.