Re: Extending/Fragmenting KDE Desktop Space

  • Subject: Re: Extending/Fragmenting KDE Desktop Space
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 05:29:48 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.windows.x.kde
__/ [ Big Yellow Hats ] on Friday 11 August 2006 00:43 \__

> Quoth Penguiniator :
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> Is it by any means possible to have a separate desktop
>>> workspaces (not just a different wallpaper, but also different
>>> files) in each virtual desktop? I am aware of the
>>> problem/complexity/ambiguity this may cause w.r.t. the
>>> structure of ~/Desktop, but I want to prevent desktop clutter.
>>> How about specifying, e.g. that Desktop 1 will reflect on the
>>> contents of ~/Desktop/desktop1 or ~/some_stuff?
>
> Confusing, but understood, I think....?
>

>> There is no way to have separate folder and file icons that show
>> only on certain desktops. The separation only works for open
>> windows.

Assuming I understood this correctly, that's just what I do at the moment.
However, open Konqueror windows take up considerable resources and they
don't integrate cleanly with the desktop (e.g. window decorations, taskbar
gets cluttered, even when similar windows are grouped).

What I was hoping to achieve, as each workspace corresponds to a particular
tasks (or set thereof), is a desktop component that reflects on the tasks.
Ultimately, rather than have independent KDE sessions, have it all hosted
under the same one, without sudo, or SSH. At the moment, I am sometimes
faced with clutter. Try to visualise a stack of 5 shaded Konqueror windows
that are positioned at particular locations of interest. Drag-and-drop for
backups (over FTP) is one thing I must do more often as I lost several hours
of non-recoverable work yesterday (quota exceeded when writing some LaTeX,
no sufficient warning given, if at all *gasp*).

I can see how implementing this fragmentation of the desktop would confuse
users and make the file structures more complicated, but if this additional
functionality was sometimes hidden behind menus (something names aptly, e.g.
Advanced), it would facilitate more productive use of the desktop, I think.
One could even have a virtual desktop that contains all the items in the
wastebin. This makes me wonder one should handle mounted devices that appear
on the desktop (I tend to have these invisible).

> However, Roy Schestowitz's KDE is most likely running on Linux, eh?
>
> It _is_ a multi-user system.
>
> What's to stop you from having control over several user accounts?  i.e.
> Roy1, Roy2, Roy3... each accessed through demonstrated means...
> ctrl-alt-F1, ctrl-alt-F2, et cetera.
>
> In other words, start a new session.  Switch between those sessions.
> Accomplish your goal.

There are several issues, I think. I have just half a gigabyte of RAM on this
machine and I often have the majority of the swap occupied. Another issue is
that you can't achieve seamless integration among accounts. What I have in
mind, for example, is a situation where the music directories appear on the
desktop that's associated with media and pages of interest only show up in
the vicinity of a Web browser. At present, for all I can tell based on KDE
3.1 and 3.4, even panels cannot be restricted to appear in just a subset of
all the virtual desktops. There is potential for more power there, which is
missed.