Re: [News] AMD Considers Open Sourcing ATi Drivers

  • Subject: Re: [News] AMD Considers Open Sourcing ATi Drivers
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 04:55:51 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Ray Ingles ] on Thursday 10 August 2006 19:22 \__

> On 2006-08-09, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Lastly, and remember you heard it here, AMD is strongly considering
>> open-sourcing at least a functional subset of ATI's graphics drivers.
>
> Now that would be interesting. Assuming it worked, it would be about
> the only thing that could make me switch from Nvidia at this point.

Nvidia had a significant rise in profits/value yesterday. Since they are
Linux-friendly, this was very encouraging. Intel, by the way, has
opened/extended the openness to four chips (not just one). As they must move
the 3-D components off the hardware and onto software (software is cheaper
to 'manufacture'), I guess I never expect them to attain interoperability by
moving everything to the wafer. So they open-source is instead and this puts
pressure on AMD/ATi at the moment (thew ATi brand name will be gone, by the
way).

> AMD is a company that knows how to leverage Linux. I'm not sure how
> probable such an open-sourcing is, but it was the first thing I thought
> of when I heard about the merger.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Ray Ingles                                               (313) 227-2317
>
> How to fix your Windows Application when it doesn't work:
> (1) Stop and start the program
> (2) Log in and log out again
> (3) Reboot the machine
> (4) Reinstall the application again
> (5) Reinstall the operating system
> (6) Dance naked around the machine, waving a rubber chicken
> (7) "Take your machine back for servicing"
> - Chris Wedgwood

I like that sig. I once blogged it with attribution to Chris Wedgwood. People
seemed to like it. *smile*