Re: Printer friendly pages - sort of Duplicate content . . . . ?

On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 14:52:10 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Best/correct option: design your pages with suitable stylesheets and
>alternative stylesheets (e.g. screen.css, print.css). This means that the
>content will only exist in one place (file and page) whereas the layout will
>be shared and chosen using something like JS, the browser's/user's
>preference, the device used to view the page, etc. Such situations are among
>the raison d'etre of designing with standards.

I was going to suggest that :-))

Got a client with a site that the printed order forms is the order
page that gets the relevant SERPs. With a little CSS and a lot of
tweaking we managed to create two pages from one (just one page
online, but the printed version looks completely different). When a
visitor prints the page all the logos and menu links and any
unnecessary content is removed (for example we removed a print button,
since you no longer need a print image on a printed page :-)) leaving
a nice clean printed order form.

You'll need something like this added to your print.css (doesn't have
to be called that) file-

.noprint{
	display: none;
}

Then surround anything you don't want printing with a div or span
etc... with the noprint class.

And this to the head of the pages you print-

<link href="print.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="print">

Great fun to play with if you like that sort of thing.

With a little thought you can do a very good printed version with
smaller graphics, better quality, whatever you like.

Roy, been wondering why you haven't upgraded Wordpress?

1.2 is quite old and probably prone to security problems?

What plugins do you use (if you don't mind me asking)?

BTW there's an error reported by IE at
http://www.schestowitz.com/Weblog/.

I think it's one of the links in this content-

Sunday, August 6thRSS Alternatives and Feeds Overload
 Filed under: XML Cyberspace Blogs by Site Administrator at 6:56 am

As I hovered over them the error warning appeared in the status bar.

BTW I'm using the latest version (2.0.4) of Wordpress on the second
site in the sig. I think Wordpress is great. You should take a look at
this plugin http://dev.wp-plugins.org/wiki/PostTeaser it makes the
archive pages show a preview of a post, keeping your archive pages a
reasonable size. And will help with indexing of blogs since having so
much duplicate content on three or more pages isn't a good idea.

David
--
SEO Tutorial http://www.seo-gold.com/tutorial/
More Earnings Blog http://www.morearnings.com/