Re: [News] US Senator Wants to Tax FLOSS

  • Subject: Re: [News] US Senator Wants to Tax FLOSS
  • From: Lee Sau Dan <danlee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 08:07:38 +0800
  • Cancel-lock: sha1:VcAvGrh9aryOw5thcEl7dQl7zGQ=
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

    The> Depends on how the metric is done.  A contemporary Windows OS
    The> installation will set one back at most $300 or so, and that's
    The> including a very basic editor.

You mean "Windows OS" is  considered equivalent of "any Linux distro"?
That's stupid.  That  proposed tax is like taxing you  on the price of
apples (substitute  with a fruit  more expensive in your  locale) when
you  buy oranges  (substitute  with  a fruit  less  expensive in  your
locale).

And how about taxing free air based on the price of the more expensive
oxygen  (or simply  compressed  air --  as  used in  scuba diving)  in
flasks?

Or taxing natural sunlight based  on the price of the electricity need
for the equivalent luminance?

    The> Should we require everyone to pay $1,600 to their states (8%
    The> sales tax) just for downloading the source to the Linux
    The> kernel?

No.  Not  just that.  You need  to pay $0.01 per  minute for breathing
and another $0.01 per minute for walking under the sun.  If your house
has any transparent windows that aren't blinded, you'll have to pay $5
per day hour for exploiting natural light for illumination. ...

--
Lee Sau Dan                     李守敦                          ~{@nJX6X~}

E-mail: danlee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx