Re: [News] Linux Phones Penetrate Market, Either Closed or Open

  • Subject: Re: [News] Linux Phones Penetrate Market, Either Closed or Open
  • From: Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 22:06:44 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
begin  oe_protect.scr
[H]omer <spam@xxxxxxx> espoused:
> Mark Kent wrote:
>
>> I suspect that much of the paranoia about allow admin-level access
>> to mobile devices will evaporate over time.  Those that really want
>> to get such access will find a way, those who do not would not
>> bother anyway.
>
> I've hacked every mobile I've ever owned, mainly to unlock "network
> independent features", but latterly out of habit.
>
> For example, the Moto V3 I got from Orange had its video recording
> feature disabled (for some reason best known to Orange) whereas
> customers Stateside had all the fun (Cingular). Soon fixed that with a
> visit to MotoX.us, but yeah, an Open platform is what's really needed
> rather than all that binary hacking using "classified" engineers'
> software - not that Orange (or any other network) would be very happy
> about that though.

I think that this is all about licensing of proprietary code.  Orange
probably didn't get the licence for the video recording capability, so
it wasn't sold on, so you didn't get it.  These organisations are
sitting rather unhappily between the open world and the closed world,
with internal armies of the "timmy smiths" of the world, claiming that
either "nothing's different" or just that "it can't be done", whilst the
new-wave people are just doing it.

"Nuclear war would really set back cable."
- Ted Turner