Re: [News] Microsoft Poster Child Lays Off 400

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
RadioShack employees get pink slip via e-mail

,----[ Quote ]
| The company said Aug. 10 it would cut 400 to 450 jobs, mostly at | headquarters, to cut expenses and "improve its long-term competitive | position in the marketplace."
`----

http://www.boston.com/business/globe/articles/2006/08/31/radioshack_employees_get_pink_slip_via_e_mail/

To cut expenses, it should have probably gone with Linux, rather than take a
lead role in Microsoft's anti-Linux crusade.

I remember a discussion from last year. It revolved around Microsoft's
hoovering of revenues, which leads to layoffs. All that remains are 'box
booters', rather than developers than extend and improve software for the
company, as well as the community from which they benefit. That serves as
valid rationale for governments that choose FOSS.

Here's the sad part: The old Radio Shack, the one with rows of capacitors instead of mp3 players, would have been a *perfect* launching point for Linux /hobbyists/.

It would have just the right interface and be a watering hole for Linux clubs and communities in every area.

It just goes to show what happens when a business decides to ditch its classic core customers and chase after the glitz...

--
Texeme Construct