[News] Linux Desktops Comes to Australian Education

Linux desktops sneak into NSW education

,----[ Quote ]
| The school's desktop and server systems administrator Ryan Chadwick said
| the computers in the library are used for Internet searching and basic
| office work, so it "seems like a nice place" to trial SLED 10.
|
| Novell support personnel will also go to the school to help set up the
| pilot project.
|
| "Authentication and basic apps like OpenOffice and Firefox [will be
| used], but printing is something we are trying to figure out at the
| moment," Chadwick said. "Ideally we would like Linux so students won't
| play [Windows] games, which is an added bonus."
|
| [...]
|
| After a virus "took out" all the school's Windows machines a few years
| ago, Chadwick said the manageability of Linux is likely to be better
| as viruses and spyware "doesn't exist" on the platform.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php/id;885559750;fp;2;fpid;1

Also today:

IBM consolidates local R&D efforts to create super lab

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;1030191852;fp;4;fpid;1398720840