Re: Patent fight rattles academic computing

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Tuesday 29 August 2006 21:35 \__

http://money.netscape.cnn.com/story.jsp?floc=FF-APO-1333&idq=/ff/story/0001%2F20060827%2F1457575948.htm&sc=1333
>>> http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory?id=2362437

>>> http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news/article.php/751121
>>> http://www.bizjournals.com/washington/stories/2001/04/23/daily13.html
>>> http://www.dailyprincetonian.com/archives/2001/12/04/news/4013.shtml
>>> http://chronicle.com/free/v48/i13/13a02701.htm
>>>
>>> Quote:
>>> ----------
>>> Charlene A. Douglas isn't surprised that Microsoft wants to get into
>>> the booming business
>>> of online-software systems for higher education, or that it has
>>> recently formed a close alliance with Blackboard, a company whose
>>> software helps colleges put their courses on the Internet....
>>>
>>> In what the two companies call a "preferred relationship," Microsoft
>>> will promote Blackboard to its education customers and Blackboard will
>>> suggest that its clients use the Microsoft Windows operating system to
>>> run Blackboard on their servers to take advantage of special features
>>> available only to Microsoft users.
>>> ----------
>>> End quote
>>>
>>> See also:
>>> http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release_html_b1?release_id=98283
>>
>> I have read somewhere else about Microsoft's attempts to sabotage the
>> adoption of projects such as Moodle. I think it was also mentioned in the
>> LUG when one of the members introduced Moodle to us, giving a thorough
>> walkthrough.
>>
>> It was a pretty impressive system. And it reuses a lot of GPL'd
>> components, like the majority of the well-tested stuff you find at the top
>> of SourceForge. No wonder Microsoft is scared. Student require nothing but
>> a Web browser to do their learning nowadays. From home, as well as from
>> the clusters at school. This obviates the need for Microsoft or
>> Windows-only software and when costs can be reduced at schools, license
>> fees will be abolished. Look at Kerala...
>>

> As you say, no wonder Microsoft are trying these very underhand tricks
> to deny people education at affordable prices.  This is no different to
> the attempts to FUD the OLPC project.  I wonder what MS have against
> people being educated - do you think that they'd be harder to con?

Kerala has made AFP.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060829/tc_afp/indiaeconomytechnologycompanymicrosoftlinux

Good photo

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: Every polar bear is left-handed
roy      pts/6                         Tue Aug 29 05:12 - 05:15  (00:03)