Re: Microsoft silenced?

  • Subject: Re: Microsoft silenced?
  • From: "Rex Ballard" <rex.ballard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 29 Aug 2006 03:22:09 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> Speaking of Microsoft ads, today on C|Net I saw one of these teaster-type MS
> ads. Something like: "What platform is more reliable than Linux? Click here
> to find out". They are getting cheeky, those marketing weasels.

Yes.  Microsoft has become a big advertizer in Linux publications and
sites.
My guess is that they are hoping to identify those who are "on the
fence" so that they can goat-rope them back into the Microsoft camp.

Microsoft has a bunch of cute ads that end up taking you directly to
their "Fast [with the] Facts" website.  Ironically, many Linux
advocates follow the links, so that they can be better prepared to
respond to someone who has read the "Fast Facts" pages.

Micrososft usually provides links from the Fast Facts pages to the
original research.  It's often amusing.  Definitely worth the trip.

What's even more amusing is that Microsoft thinks that they will
actually convince experienced Linux and Unix users to switch.

According to IDC, Linux is now up to 12% of overall server revenue,
compared to Microsoft with 34% (Linux machines/licenses cost much less
than similar Windows machines).  And Unix is still holding at 35% of
the revenue.