Re: html to rss

__/ [ markbiernat@xxxxxxxxx ] on Monday 28 August 2006 16:41 \__

> I have been exploring the idea of using RSS feeds. I think most of the
> people here are well versed in this, I am not, I am learning.
>
> If I have a site where I write an article or two a week or create a new
> page, can I open this up to be picked up by other sites as RSS. I see a
> lot of software that seems to do this,that is html to rss. The purpose
> would be to give my articles exposure, including links in the articles,
> and increase traffic to my site.
>
> Is this worth the effort? Is this just another fad and I should focus
> on building links and pages?
>
> How do I implement this if it is?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark

One convenient way to present both an HTML version and and an RSS version is
to separate content from layout and put all content in a database. What you
probably want is a content management system that is powered by a database
and some content dynamic content generator (e.g. PHP, ASP, Python, Perl). It
has many merits, but in principle you could also take an existing Web site
and extract some summary in the form of RSS (XML schema). There are tools
for this, e.g.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=137793&package_id=153422

bear in mind that there's an RSS 'explosion', which means that advantage
gained by distinguishing yourself is minor (compared with what it used to
be). However, more users are yet to hop on the RSS bandwagon, particularly
those who need the operating system to shower them with novelty through
prebundling.

Hope this helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Play Othello: http://othellomaster.com
  5:20pm  up 39 days  5:32,  8 users,  load average: 0.44, 0.66, 0.72