Re: Google modifies site/page titles?

__/ [ AllenHarkleroad ] on Monday 28 August 2006 13:41 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Some days ago I noticed something strange. The title of my main site is
>> not the same as that which the SERP's show. I am not listed in DMOZ, in
>> case that's a factor.
>>
>> For some reason, my first name is appended to the <title>. For example if
>> you google 'site schestowitz' (or any phrase for that matter), the title
>> will show my name rather than the title. Odd... that does not even align
>> with anchor text. Could it be manually edited or part of a new algorithm?
>
> By chance do you have Personalized search turned on at Google, or
> perhaps Google is picking up a portion of the page like a copyright
> notice with your name in it or maybe Google is pulling part of your
> meta description? Google seems to randomly use our Meta Description for
> some pages.
>
> Allen Harkleroad
> Author of "No Fluff Just the Stuff SEO" Book
> www.nofluffseobook.com
>
> My SEO Blog www.dotref.com

Hi Allen,

I have thought about all these factors, but the change comes after about 2
years when the title remained unchanged and immutable. It makes this an
unusual observation. It is the first time that I see a <title> substituted
by something else and I haven't got personalised search enabled. It's not
the SERP that's assigned to a page, but rather its title/heading
(description is still extracted from the page or the meta description).

It is possible that Google picks up portions of the page, but how would it be
able to determine which one/s? And since when has it been doing this? Anchor
text is fairly arbitrary (although I rank well for "roy" somehow), so I
began wondering if Google is beginning to /learn/ from content, much in the
same way that Googlism was intended to speculate based on Google Search
(back in 2003 when I last checked it). I am aware that Google has plans of
using richer information in one form or another, so could this be the start
of a change wherein your SERP's are determined by semantics, rather than
what the author embeds in the page? This could combat deceitful content and
SPAM. I am trying to find other examples of this...