Re: [News] Microsoft Buys 154 Million MSFT Stocks to Save Face

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Monday 28 August 2006 08:44 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> Microsoft Announces Final Results of Tender Offer
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Company Repurchases $3.8 Billion of Its Common Stock
>> `----
>>
>> http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060824/sfth026.html?.v=74
>>
>> What a surprise? MSFT is almost back to $26. One wonders if it's gaining
>> market share...... NOT.
>
> This is merely passing cash out from the company coffers to the existing
> shareholders.
>
> It's an important move for MS to prevent the city brokers from buying
> out the company, stripping it, and trousering the cash.  By doing it
> /this/ way, ie., buying back shares from /existing/ shareholders, the
> /existing/ shareholders get to trouser the cash instead of the
> stock-brokers.
>
> It seems that the board, current shareholders, and stock-brokers are all
> very aware that MS is in deep deep trouble...

I know you have already seen the ZDNet column where the author recommends
dumping the stock (you commented on it). But here are a few others from the
past week.

3 Stocks I Hate to Love

,----[ Quote ]
| But times, they are a-changing. These stocks I once hated are starting to
| look pretty good.
|
| [...]
|
| Rooting against Mr. Softy is easy. You can be a fan of the ubiquitous
| class of Apple Computer or lean on free, open-architecture operating
| software like Linux. Microsoft's Windows is still the most popular
| operating system, but even a good chunk of that base probably wouldn't
| mind giving Microsoft a mouthful over the buggy, virus-prone nature
| of Windows.
|
| Maybe it's the way Microsoft has gone after smaller players in the past,
| taking advantage of its operating-system stronghold to shoehorn as many
| other applications as possible into systems. Until recently, Microsoft was
| a bully. However, the company seems mortal these days. Despite beating
| rivals to the punch in rolling out its next-generation video game
| console, the Xbox 360 is still a distant second to the PlayStation
| franchise. And while it may have the most-used browser, it's currently
| in contention for the bronze medal in the paid search race (where
| the dot-com gravy lies).
`----

http://www.fool.com/news/commentary/2006/commentary06082303.htm?source=eptyholnk303100&logvisit=y&npu=y

Korologos to Retire From Microsoft Board

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060825/laf017.html?.v=70

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Avoid missing ball for higher score"
Tasks: 122 total,   1 running, 119 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie