Re: [News] Microsoft Patch Introduces Serious Security Flaw

begin  oe_protect.scr
> __/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Wednesday 23 August 2006 16:00 \__
>
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
>> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>  wrote
>> on Wed, 23 Aug 2006 08:36:55 +0100
>> <6486500.T84IuSxFSm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>> IE patch carries security bug
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]

>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6108490.html
>>>
>>> No wonder the population of PC's is being 'zombified' at such enormous
>>> rates < http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6108409.html >.
>>
>> Ow, my brain.  I thought patches were supposed to *repair*
>> security flaws, not introduce *new* ones.  Of course,
>> shit happens...I for one just wish it happened less often.
>>
>> I'm beginning to wonder about that "bad press is better than
>> no press at all" maxim.... :-)
>

> Here's another take on this. Good source, harsh criticism.
>
> http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9002656
>
> Microsoft will re-release 'butchered' patch
>
> August's MS06-42 fix simply too buggy
>
> August 22, 2006 (IDG News Service) -- Instead of making the browser
> more secure, Microsoft Corp.'s August Internet Explorer security update
> introduced a critical security bug, according to researchers at eEye
> Digital Security Inc.

Ah, more bots, more botnets, more spam.  Please let's take windows off
the net, at least until MS have made it something like secure...  I'm
sick of spam - it's the worst of all the Windows nightmares.

No-one would remember the Good Samaritan if he had only had good
intentions.  He had money as well.
		-- Margaret Thatcher