Re: [News] Boycott New York Times for Discriminating Against Linux

Peter Kai Jensen <usenet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hadron Quark wrote:
>
>>> ...Which explains twisted Web stats that indicate that Linux market
>>> share is low. I, for one, don't report my O/S. Open systems don't
>>> have need those
>>
>> Why on earth not? Its one of the best advocacy things you can do. It
>> tells people what you are using. It helps them see what platforms to
>> support.
>
> But it tends to give this kind of trouble, so many people never reset
> the browser identification.  I've had some sites actually 404 content
> when not identifying as IE, but that's not the worst that can happen.
> On one site I once found that the side-menu silently disappears when not
> identified as Netscape or IE.  This resulted in me having to call the
> people in question to ask why the information I was looking for wasn't
> on their homepage.  Let's face it, the world is full of incompetent
> web-designers, but one easy way of avoiding many of the artificial
> barriers is to just keep the browser identification hidden or set to IE.
> It may not further the mind-share of Linux, but it allows us to get on
> with what we were actually trying to do (which I suspect most care about
> a whole lot more).
>
> Besides, it should not be the job of the website to support any
> platform.  Just code to standards and let the support come from the
> browsers.  That's where it belongs.  That's how the web is *supposed* to
> work.

err yes. But clearly it doesnt. And putting your head in the sand and
pretending to be something you are not, will not help inform sites &
designers that they need to get it right. Sometimes things must get
worse before they can get better.