Re: [News] Gartner: Vista Last of its Kind, "Unsustainable" Monolithic Windows Forced to Change

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Saturday 26 August 2006 15:48 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
> Linonut <linonut@xxxxxxxx> espoused:
>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Hadron Quark belched out this bit o' wisdom:

>>> Linux is a monolithic kernel.
>>
>> Sort of.
>>
>> In any case, the article mentioned architecture, not the kernel.
>>
>> The kernel is probably the best part of Windows.  It's the drivers and
>> user space that aren't so well integrated.
>>

> By necessity, it must be the least complex and least multiply-dependent
> part of windows.  Being best is relative in such a situation, of
> course...

We never spoke about µ-kernels here (that's just Andrew Tanenbaum's itch and
gripe with merely all of today's O/Sen). The level of abstraction in BSD and
Linux is good, if not admirable. When I programmed and developed an ARM
front-end, my Supervisor urged me to separate the presentation layer (GTK)
from all else  It makes everything more manageable and versatile (prepared
for change, owing to transparency). It's hard to reverse wrong design
choices without breaking something (background-compatibility) or confusing
other people/components (possibly other team of programmers). Dependencies
at large scales are marbid.

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      | Wintendo O/S gets malware on its tail
Swap:  1036184k total,   479864k used,   556320k free,    40008k cached