[News] Rolling Customised Linux Distributions - The Next Best Thing?

Swiss developers start rolling Your Own Linux Distribution

,----[ Quote ]
| In the works now is a live CD for the tourist office of the town of
| Oberwald in the Swiss Alps. "Its primary purpose is to give tourists a
| slide show with pictures of the area," Rosenkraenzer says. "We're
| thinking about doing the same thing for some other towns, such as Zermatt."
|
| Rosenkraenzer charges about $81 per hour for development, but offers a
| 50% rebate if the customer chooses to release the work under the GNU
| General Public License (GPL). "We'll do the work for free for open
| source projects," he says. "So far nobody has made use of that offer,
| but I think that's because nobody knows about it."

rPath wants to put RHAT and NOVL out of business

,----[ Quote ]
| Instead of worrying about which applications run on which operating
| systems, wouldn't it be better if each application came with its own
| operating system already attached?
`----

http://asay.blogspot.com/2006/08/rpath-wants-to-put-rhat-and-novl-out.html

I suspect that it's another Red Hat spinoff developed the idea of
applications that are wrapped with Linux thus just require hardware, rather
than an O/S. Multitasking becomes an interesting issue, but why not just
have a browser that runs a Web-based O/S? Google/YouOS? Maybe Pen Drive O/S
instead...?