Re: XGL made easy for Fedora Core 5

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> __/ [ [H]omer ] on Friday 25 August 2006 03:20 \__

>> Dedicated repo (basically two packages @ 2MB) + a couple of FC
>> extras.
>>
>> http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=111771

> According to the following, which I read yesterday:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FC6ReleaseSummary
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Better visualisation and eye candy is provided through the compiz
> | window manager. Compiz can take advantage of the AIGLX framework
> Judge it for yourself. It often seems to me that all the innovation
> is at Novell these days. They attend LinuxWorld,, they get XGL out
> to the public, they get Xen to work, do suability research and
> create new launchers for GNOME and KDE...

Well I'd happily go with AIGLX, except that currently it won't work
with nVidia's proprietary driver (something to do with lack of DRI
support IIRC).

Then again, it's become apparent to me just how flexible and modular
these enhancements really are. It is a simple proposition to install
*both* XGL *and* AIGLX, then just switch between them using gdmsetup.

I think the focus of these two companies is different; with Novell
concentrating on the Desktop, and RH being more security oriented, and
pushing newer kernel technologies.

> but I still use Fedora (remotely) and I like it.

It's horses for courses, but together both companies will push the
boundaries of Linux technology.

--
K.
http://slated.org - Slated, Rated & Blogged

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.16-1.2133_FC5
 14:16:19 up 68 days, 14:33,  3 users,  load average: 0.01, 0.01, 0.00