Re: Update: Microsoft Intentionally Cripples HD DVD, Blu-ray Support in Vista 32-bit

  • Subject: Re: Update: Microsoft Intentionally Cripples HD DVD, Blu-ray Support in Vista 32-bit
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 13:14:49 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ High Plains Thumper ] on Friday 25 August 2006 11:14 \__

> nessuno wrote:
>
>> Quote:
>> --------------
>> "Any next-generation high definition content will not play
>> in x32 at all. This is a decision that the Media Player
>> folks made because there are just too many ways right now
>> for unsigned kernel mode code [to compromise content
>> protection]. The media companies asked us to do this and
>> said they don't want any of their high definition content
>> to play in x32 at all, because of all of the unsigned
>> malware that runs in kernel mode can get around content
>> protection, so we had to do this," said Riley.
>>
>> In order to playback high definition Blu-ray or HD DVD
>> content, your PC must have a 64-bit processor and a 64-bit
>> version of Windows Vista. Running a 64-bit version of Vista
>> means that all drivers have to be signed. This ensures that
>> content protection is kept in place and is something that
>> the movie studios have been pushing for to get help stomp
>> out piracy. ---------------
>> End quote
>>
>> http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=3922
>
> It sounds like CPU and motherboard hardware manufacturers
> should be happy.  The hardware inflationary cycle continues.

Microsoft's mouthpiece begs to differ.

http://tinyurl.com/s2a8r (MSWatch, no PR)

Just a rumour perhaps? Or are true facts being hidden from the public?

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "I think I think, therefore I think I am"
Swap:  1036184k total,   463808k used,   572376k free,   109340k cached