[News] University Courses Made Cheaper Owing to OSS/CC

Intro to Statistics course costs vs. open source / creative commons / remix
education

,----[ Quote ]
| Here is the research on open source/free resources for statistics. It
| turns out that all the material and tools we will go over in my Intro
| to Stats course this fall (2006) is available for free, as opposed to
| the apx. $180 for SAS license and new textbook, or even $150 for SAS
| license and used textbook. Even considering that the textbook could be
| sold back for half-price, the cost to a student is still $105.
`----

http://jeffmcneill.com/2006/08/23/intro-to-statistics-course-costs-vs-open-source-creative-commons-remix-education-alternatives/
http://tinyurl.com/enr38

Yesterday I compiled Octave, as an alternative to MATLAB. It mimics its
functionality and is GPL'd, so you can take your work with you. No strings
(pricey licenses) attached which lock and restrict the user.