Re: Professional Books Composed with Linux (or Mac, Windows) and Open Source

__/ [ casioculture@xxxxxxxxx ] on Thursday 24 August 2006 23:42 \__

> Geico Caveman wrote:
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>> > Designing a book with LyX
>> >
>> > ,----[ Quote ]
>> > `----
>> >
>> > http://software.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=06/08/15/1859251&from=rss
>>
>> LyX is nothing compared to TeXmacs.
>
> TeXmacs is not LaTeX. It's not Emacs either. None the less, if it's
> what you like, whatever makes you happy.
>
> I tried LyX. I then tried AucTex on Emacs. I then tried Kile. I'm quite
> pleased with Kile.
>
> I was planning to check out vim-latexsuite, but considering how happy I
> am with Kile, I don't think I will any time soon.

I am very satisfied with LyX as a visual simplification for LaTeX. It makes
it easier to visualise the output in real time (WYSIWYG-type overview). I
never actually tried Kile, but I hear good things. I was pleased that the
article bother to mention that output from LyX (or LaTeX for that matter) is
indistinguishable from that which is produced at print houses/publishing
firms. In fact, some publishers use LyX for all I can tell, judging by the
mailing list.