Re: SUSE 10.1 IS FULL OF BUGS******************************************

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 19:57:40 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Borught to you by: http://tinyurl.com/fhu3a

Haha!

That's what I love about comp.os.linux.advocacy. You can say anything and
as long as the COLA gang backs you up, proof is a moot point.

Who needs proof?

I notice Roy, you were unable to offer a counter argument to the many
problems that Suse has.
Of course we wouldn't want to discuss that now would we?

Air the dirty little secrets of a defective distribution?

Nahh..

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, that would be heresy.

Now let's take a closer look::::

http://szornes4.blogspot.com

Installing openSuSE 10.1
A SemiPainless guide by S. Z. Boardstretcher

!!!SuSE 10.1 is not complete and will not work completely without further
software.!!!

Hope that got your attention.

In fact, the first time you boot SuSE on a clean install, it will take at
least 10 minutes for the broken ZENupdater to download all of it's package
information - before you can continue. Sorry, thats just the way it is.

Also SuSE is installed with no MP3 support, DVD Playback, A broken version
of YaST and Online update, A broken ZENworks installer, No Virus
Protection Enabled(shh I know),..

This is a guide to avoid the many, many, many hours of headaches that will
accompany the installation of SuSE 10.1. It is broken into these sections;

If you don't find it in this guide Try These Links to SuSE Specific Help
Disclaimer and Warning
First thing's First
YaST,SMART and Online Update
Add further repositories to SMART
Packages to Search for and Add with SMART Packages you might want to
delete from SuSE Packages and Things to Install From Elsewhere Error
Messages you might see and what to do Questions you might ask and answers
to them Things I Am Researching and will Include Later

If you don't find it in this guide Try These Links to SuSE Specific Help:
http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/
http://www.suseforums.net/

Disclaimer and Warning:
I did all these things in this order to my computer and it works fine now.
It may not work for you which is a whole lot of not my problem. So use
your brain, conatined in the thing above your shoulders, and think before
you act. My most valuable suggestion to you is *Make a system Backup.*
Proof of the procedures listed here are easily found by Googling them. I
got most of my information for this guide from scouring through Google
results to fix my broken SuSE 10.1. I just felt the need to put them all
in one easy to get to place in case my system fails and I have to
reinstall from scratch.

First thing's First:
Add System Monitor to one of your panels and minimize it. This way you can
visually monitor your machine's Cpu Load and know for sure that the
computer is in fact doing 'something.'

YaST, SMART and System Update:
This has the most potential to be unbearably irritating if not fixed
first.

In YaST > Software Management search for SMART and install 'SMART' ,
'SMART-ADDONS', AND 'SMARTGUI' Disable Novell-ZMD in YaST > System >
System Services and save by pressing Finish Reboot now.
Start SMART Package Manager
Edit > Channels > New > Provide channel information > RPM MetaData and
enter the following; Alias: Suse Update, Name: Suse Online Updates, Base
Then Edit > Upgrade All (*This will take a long time, so take a break!*)
Reboot and hope

Add further repositories to SMART:
http://ftp4.gwdg.de/pub/linux/suse/apt/SuSE10.1-i386 File > Update
Selected Channels > gwdg View > Hide Non-upgrades
View > Tree Style > None
Edit > Find > type smart and install the highest version number of these
packages: smart, smart-addons, smart-gui then Apply marked changes Close
SMART and restart SMART and click Yes to add more 'SuSE repositories'
File > Update Channels (!this will take a few minutes!)

Packages to Search for and Add with SMART: compat-expat1 - XML Parser
d4x - Download manager for Web
ethereal - Advanced network diagnostic tool expat - XML Parser
fiefox - Mozilla Firefox Web Browser
flash-player - Macromedia flash player plugin gcc - GNU Compiler
Collection
java-1_4_2 - Java 2 Runtime Environment kdeadmin3 - programs for KDE
system administration kernel-source - Linux Kernel Sources
kernel-syms - Linux Kernel Symbols
realplayer - Realmedia Realplayer
w32codec-all - win32 DLL's for decoding movies

Packages you might want to delete from SuSE: Beagle - imitation of Google
Desktop Search (uses a lot of resources and it's still buggy look for
future releases to be better) Novell Apparmor - Chances are if you don't
know how to use it you don't need it NetworkManager - RedHat, the authors,
admit that it's extremely buggy (See Error Messages) ZenUpdater, Rug, ZMD,
libzypp-zmd-backend Parts of the ZenWorks system that you do not
necessarily need if you are using SMART Package Manager Bluetooth -
removed all traces of this because I do not use anything BlueTooth
Television - removed all traces of Television software because I do not
haveve a tv tuner

Packages and Things to Install From Elsewhere: MUST HAVE: These things
aren't included in SuSE 10.1 OPTIONAL: Better software than what is
provided in SuSE 10.1 *'s: Rating(more the better)
Note: This list contains RPM's that can be installed using the 'rpm'
command in terminal and Tarballs that must be untarred, set up, compiled
and installed. For information regarding these Tarballs refer to the
Author's Installation notes and website.

MUST HAVE:
DVD Playback Codec or Decoder thing:
http://download.videolan.org/pub/libdvdcss/1.2.9/rpm/libdvdcss2-1.2.9-1.i386.rpm

MP3 to WAV conversion for making Audio CD's:
http://www.fluendo.com/resources/fluendo_mp3.php

Adblock Plus, Adblock Plus Updater for Firefox:
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1865/
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1136/

FlashGot for Firefox:
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/220/

OPTIONAL:
Graphics viewer most like IrfanView: ***.. http://www.xnview.com

Picasa Photo Organizing Software: ***** http://picasa.google.com/linux

Transparent Terminal: **...
http://www.afterstep.org/aterm.php

LimeWire File Sharing: ****.
http://www.limewire.com

Bittorrent:*****
http://www.bittorrent.com

Azureus Bittorrent Client: *****
http://azureus.sourceforge.net

Error Messages you might see and what to do: NetworkManager missing
resources
This particular message references the Redhat Network Management Daemon
called NetworkManager. I suggested removing it earlier. If you didn't you
will eventually get this message.

What you are most likely going to try is to fix it. You will look it up on
Google and Yahoo and message boards and such. This is what information you
will come up with A) This problem is caused by an Icon Cache B) There is
no proper documentation for this product C) There are no logs created by
this product and D) Out of 6 billion pages on the internet 60 of them have
the word NetworkManager on them.

So do yourself a favor and read this:
http://www.redhat.com/magazine/003jan05/features/networkmanager/ then
delete NetworkManager from your system.

Zmd Does not appear to be running -
This message comes from your system trying to use Online Updating at boot
up or when trying to install an RPM using zmd. Since you stopped the
Novell ZMD service in System Services... Online Update cannot
connect to Novell to be able to suck up 100% of your processor and provide
190 updates that will not install.

My advice is look into removing Zmd and Rug from your system. You can
always re-install later when SuSE fixes them. It's purely up to you.

Questions you might ask and answers to them Q: Is there an easy way, or a
program, to edit the Gnome menu?

A: There are a number of programs to do this. They are called SMEG and
Alacarte -- but, they are both obsolete for Gnome 2.12 and SuSE 10.1. The
developer homepage says that Alacarte will be included by default with
Gnome 2.16. But that doesn't do you any good does it?

If it is absolutely necessary for you to edit the Gnome menu, then go to
http://yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/GNOME.html and read up on it. Then you can
make and edit a .desktop file in /opt/gnome/share/applications to put your
program into the Gnome menu.

Q: I have a mouse with two buttons on the side that don't work in SuSE
10.1 what do I do?

A: This answer is tested only on a ((Microsoft 5-Button Mouse with
IntelliEye)). Go to a terminal window and type:

xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 2 3 4 5 8 9 6 7 10 11"

If that works for you, (*be sure to test the buttons*), then go to your
home directory and create a file named .Xmodmap with the line:

pointer = 1 2 3 4 5 8 9 6 7 10 11

in it. Save it. The next time you start Gnome it will ask if you want to
load that Modmap file. Choose Yes.

Things I have been Researching and will Include Later Removing Mono and
related libraries (mono is really slow, but required by a number of
packages, if you can live without those packages, then I would suggest
removing mono) Using Vscan and F-Prot for Virus Protection (looking as if
virus protection is un-needed xcept for susceptible windows programs)
Maybe Avast antivirus (only for windows program protection)

posted by szboardstretcher at 7:31 PM | 0 comments

HOLY MACKEREL  !!!!!!

Now if THAT isn't a screwed up distribution then what is?????

Oh and BTW PCLinuxos works right out of the box after you get libdvdcss or
whatever it's called and that is right on the texstar suppositories.

Suse?

A total train wreck!!

We can only hope that 10.2 will be better, and I'm sure it will.
After all, how much WORSE could it get compared to 10.1????????

You may now continue with your spamming of comp.os.linux.advocacy Roy
Schestowich.