Re: Linux-based Playstation 3 Gains Wealth of Games

__/ [ Oliver Wong ] on Wednesday 23 August 2006 20:21 \__

http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybrid.aspx?storyID=urn:newsml:reuters.com:20060823:MTFH34462_2006-08-23_10-14-04_T276061&type=comktNews&rpc=44

>> Is the PS3 really "linux based"?  I understand that you can use the
>> hardware to run linux if you buy the right configuration and don't mind
>> some clumsy I/O mechanisms, but in its native form I don't think that
>> it is using linux.
>
> http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=9290
> <quote>
> In comments made to Japanese game website Impress Watch, and translated by
> GameSetWatch contributor Shou Suzuki, Kawanishi noted: "Because we have
> plans for having Linux on board [the PS3], we also recognize Linux
> programming activities... Other than game studios tied to official
> developer licenses, we'd like to see various individuals participate in
> content creation for the PS3."
> </quote>
>
> Wikipedia's analysis:
> <quote>
> Linux will be pre-installed on the PS3 hard drive. Currently it is unknown
> if Linux will be the operating system used to run everything, including the
> Cross Media Bar, or if the system will operate as a dual boot environment,
> where Linux would be loaded from the Cross Media Bar menu.
> </quote>

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=9290

                E3: Kawanishi Talks Homebrew Linux PS3 Development

,----[ Quote ]
| In an intriguing turn of events, Sony executive Izumi Kawanishi has
| illuminated some of his company's PlayStation 3 Linux plans, indicating
| that it will be possible for individual 'homebrew' coders to create
| playable content for PS3, something actively blocked for Sony's PSP
| handheld.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder"
Tasks: 129 total,   1 running, 126 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie