Re: [News] Windows Vista to Prove Superiority of OSS/Linux

__/ [ Oliver Wong ] on Wednesday 23 August 2006 21:59 \__

http://www.itbusinessedge.com/blogs/osb/index.php/2006/08/22/windows-vista-could-prove-open-source-more-secure/

>     I think something that Thompson may be glossing over is that a lot of
> users don't really care all that much about security. Or more precisely,
> security is a nice thing to have, but they'd prefer convenience and ease of
> use. Consider all the people who choose easy to guess passwords, or write
> their passwords down on sticky notes pasted to their monitors.
>
>     I hope, but am pessimistic, that this will one day change.

Stop implying that Linux is inconvenient and hard to use. Please. it's just
unnecessary FUD as you are not coming from an appropriate perspective. You
still perceive the Windows Way and the Right Way. Many of Windows usability
decisions go back over a decade ago. The same mistakes are propagated to
preserve consistency (as in  "don't confuse users"). Meanwhile, Novell and
others spend a lot on usability research and the interfaces are changed
(imporved) radically all the time. Consider, KNode, for example, which has
perfect keyboard navigation for /everything/.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Microsof(fshore)t Window(ntime)s Vista(gnating)
  9:20am  up 34 days 21:35,  9 users,  load average: 1.91, 1.01, 0.79